Tuesday, June 30, 2009

New 70+ Women's National Road Champion

From the Front Lines in Louseville, KY ~

"Hi Julia, I rode the Road Race in Cherokee Park yesterday (6/28/09) and had the thrill of my life when I had a motorcycle lead and the Shimano truck following for my final lap. The announcer said something in the order of "We have a new reigning Women's 70 + road champion - Patricia Baker"

The course had two 7% climbs including the final one to the finish. It was a fantastic day with the weather cooler than expected. I am on cloud nine.

I talked to Andrea from USA Cycling and it seems that there is a new push to attarct more women riders. (about time I would say). She interviewed me after the race and we will see how far that goes.

Before the race a heavy set 13 or 14 year old boy came up to me and said." Don't you think that you are a bit old to be riding a bike" I said "No Way!" and resisted the urge to smack him. :)

The UCI threw a wrench in the works with the new bike specs, I had my ISAAC templated on Saturday and it failed. My seat is too far forward. The first 4 bikes they did failed for the same reason. I managed to slide my saddle as far back as it will go and it may just barely be OK. That really sucks as I now have to ride with a new position. I rode the course today and I can feel it.

I needed to share this information with my cycling friends in So Cal.

Pat
2009 70+ Women's National Road Champion

No comments: